Re: Lagerstatten (was: FW: Help with Cladistics)

>From: Adam Yates <zooamy@zoo.latrobe.edu.au>
 > On Tue, 5 Sep 1995 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
 > >
 > > The word is Lagerstatt (nominative singular) ...
 > > In ordinary German it
 > > connotes a resting-place, a couch, a bed, lodging, or an encampment.  >
 > I had heard a completely differant translation for this term, in several
 > places (don't actually have the refs on me but I will look for them) it
 > is said to mean "mother load".

It may have that meaning in idiomatic German, but its literal meaning
is "resting-place" (_lag-_ is the same word as English "lay", and
_statt_ is one of the words for "place" in German).

Of course a "mother lode' could be viewed as a resting-place for
lots and lots of ore.

The peace of God be with you.