Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FW: Re: FW: Help with Cladistics

>>Feathers remain a very weak synapomorphy of birds: since most bird outgroups
>>have yet to be found in a Lagerstatten environment, we have no evidence with
>>which to dismiss the hypothesis of feathered nonavian theropods.
>
>   A Lagerwhatsis?

Lagerstatten is a German word used in paleontology for sedimentary units
with exceptional fossil preservation.  The Solnhofen Lithographic Limestone,
for example, is such a deposit: the fine grained limestone preserves minute
details of soft tissues, such as feathers.  The Holzmaden and the Burgess
Shale are two other such deposits.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology