Re: Re: Removing segnosaurs from Theropoda

>Well, if you want to be a STRICT caldist, the term "Non Avian Dinosaur" is
>paraphyletic. Therefore it is impossible for cladists to talk about
>dinosaurs without also talking about birds.
>
>Am I missing something?

Yes, you are.  "Nonavian dinosaur" is a descriptive term, but it is not a
Taxon.  Only taxa (formal taxonomic names) must be monophyletic under
phylogenetic taxonomy.  We may still talk about the "non-cheetah cats", the
"nonhuman primates", and the "nonavian dinosaurs", but doing so, we
recognize that these are parphyletic groups.

Does that clear up things?

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology