Re: Field Museum redux

>I live in Chicago.
>
>What amazes me about creationists in the DNA to Dinos exhibit is that it
>is expensive!  Even on "free days" there is a charge for the new exhibits
>like the one on Bats, etc.  Why do they pay to get in just to damage it?
>
>As far as the teaching of "creation science" or mentioning it in the
>classroom before or after evolution...  My personal opinion (and I expect
>to be flamed for it) is that --everything-- relating to evolution should
>be taught.  The arguments for and the arguments against (no matter how
>absurd) deserve a place in the dialog.  Censorship of ideas (no matter
>how absurd they are) is --wrong--.
>
>Let the students hear all sides.  If the bio teacher is a good one, the
>arguments in favor vs. the arguments against should resolve themselves in
>the students' minds leaving them more capable of rational thought,
>logical discussion, and an interest in learning.

In the public schools, there is hardly time for this.  Must we teach Flat
Earthism, Phlostiginism, and the Four Humor Theory along with Geography,
Chemistry, and Health?  I don't think there are many advocates for
these, but these are as "legitimate" as Creationism.

In my college course, with a whole semester to talk about dinosaurs, I can
take the time to discuss the various ideas out of which came sedimentology,
stratigraphy, geochronology, comparative anatomy, and taxonomy.  For a
public school teacher, with maybe two weeks to a month to cover evolution,
this would be much more difficult.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology