AMNH and eugenics

Hello, all.

My name is Robert Hill.  I am affiliated with the AMNH as a so-called
Dinosaur Explainer and also as a person working on the AMNH Web Page,
specifically the VP exhibit therein, which is to be revealed shortly.  I
have been participating on the Dinosaur list for many months now as one of
several means of educating myself about current VP.

I am curious about the following statement that was made in a recent post:

>I also think that we should be taught about the eugenics movement and how
>that lead to some of the horrors of the third reich [sic].  Just because
>Americans may be ashamed of our involvement in eugenics (ex.  American
>Museum of Natural History) does not mean that it is not a valid topic for
>discussion.

For my personal benefit, could someone please enlighten me as to the nature
of the AMNH's alleged involvement in eugenics and how Americans might be
ashamed of that involvement?  I am aware of the Third Reich's interest in
eugenics, but I have no idea how the AMNH might be associated with the Third
Reich in this regard or what this may have to do with vertebrate paleontology.

Robert

Dinosaur Explainer with the|| = |= = = =| = |______| = |= = = =| = || = |
American Museum of Natural History = = =| =/  AMNH  \= |= = = =| = || = |
New York, New York, USA| = || = |= = = =|/  New York \ |= = = =| = || = |

Watch for the opening of the AMNH Web Page at http://www.amnh.org this
coming Fall.

*** All opinions are those of the individual, not the institution. ***