Re: Field Museum redux

On Fri, 1 Sep 1995, Ellin Beltz wrote:
> [...]
>
> As far as the teaching of "creation science" or mentioning it in the
> classroom before or after evolution...  My personal opinion (and I expect
> to be flamed for it) is that --everything-- relating to evolution should
> be taught.  The arguments for and the arguments against (no matter how
> absurd) deserve a place in the dialog.  Censorship of ideas (no matter
> how absurd they are) is --wrong--.
>
> Let the students hear all sides.  If the bio teacher is a good one, the
> arguments in favor vs. the arguments against should resolve themselves in
> the students' minds leaving them more capable of rational thought,
> logical discussion, and an interest in learning.
>
> Controversy is an excellent teacher's aide.  It makes the subject matter
> far more interesting than "here it is, this is fact, now - regurgitate!"
No no no no no no no. No. Creationism is pseudo science, pure and simple.
Not to be taught as an alternate point of view. This is not a
philosophy discourse, where many points of view can co-exist. Science
is taught on a foundation of facts derived by research and experimentation.
I've yet to see a creationist experiment.

If creationism appears in the classroom at all, it should be in the
role of pseudo science, as an endeavor to make facts fit a foregone
scenario.

+----------+    Rich Travsky   RTRAVSKY @ UWYO . EDU
+----------+    http://plains.uwyo.edu/~rtravsky/