Re: Ceratopian / ceratopsian

In a message dated 95-09-18 15:42:01 EDT, ornstn@inforamp.net (Ronald
Orenstein) writes:

>  However, "ceratopsian" has been
>>used for over a century, is (in my opinion) more euphonious, and there is
no
>>ICZN rule requiring absolute etymological correctness (and the ICZN doesn't
>>cover surpafamilial names, anyway).

Perhaps it's more euphonious just because you've heard it so often. On the
other hand, Eryopsidae and Brachyopsidae seem to sound better than Eryopidae
and Brachyopidae, so you may have a point there. I try to pronounce them
ker-uh-TOPE-ee-uh, ker-uh-TOPE-i-dye, try-CARE-uh-tops, and so forth (I don't
always succeed--old habits die hard). They do sound better that way.

G.O.