Re: Ceratopian / ceratopsian

In a message dated 95-09-18 15:42:01 EDT, ornstn@inforamp.net (Ronald
Orenstein) writes:

>>Dave Norman and George Olshevsky both encourage the use of "ceratopian",
>>which (I admit) is etymologically correct.  However, "ceratopsian" has been
>>used for over a century, is (in my opinion) more euphonious, and there is
no
>>ICZN rule requiring absolute etymological correctness (and the ICZN doesn't
>>cover surpafamilial names, anyway).
>>
>>So, basically, your choice.  If you do go with "ceratopian", you should
>>definitely have a footnote or such explaining this nonstandard spelling.
>>
>>Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
>
>And, to be internally consistent, we should rename a certain popular
>fictional work "Dinotopsia" (meaning, of course, a terrible place that just
>growed).

First of all, was this posting from Tom Holtz to the whole dinosaur list? If
so, I never received it. (Of course, I have some of it now, courtesy of
yourself!) I wonder what other dinosaur-list e-mail I haven't received...

And secondly, "Dinotopsia" is cute, but I suspect it's a different root:
_topos_, meaning "place," instead of _ops_, meaning "face." (Hey, that
rhymes!) But you knew that already, right?

G.O.