Re: More news about Sue

rowe@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
>(Mickey Rowe) writes:
>
>>The following quotes were sent to me by Ken Carpenter:
>>
>>  "When an object is of particularly high scientific
importance, it is
>>  my belief that its preservation must be guaranteed by
some legally
>>  enforceable means." Editorial by Kevin Schiefer, US
Attorney for
>>  South Dakota, Rapid City Journal May 23, 1992
>>
>>  "Murdy [of the BIA] said his understanding of the
situation is that
>>  the government's trust status responsibility is to
Willams - not to
>>  any scientific standard.  The government hopes to get
Williams the
>>  best value for the dinosaur, but that value is hard to
determine."
>>  Hill City Prevaile, Sept. 6, 1995
>>
>>I don't know anything more than what's there, but look
carefully at
>>the dates above.  Things don't look that promising for
Sue's long-term
>>disposition.
>>

>You can bet that someone in the "government" will receive a
nice "finder's
>fee" under the table when Sue is finally "disposed of."
>
>"Politician: One who uses public office for private
advantage"--paraphrased
>from _The Devil's Dictionary_ by Ambrose Bierce.

 Incidentally, what ever happened to the $5000 that the BHI
paid to Mr. Williams initially for the right to excavate
Sue?

Name: Michael Edward Purvis
E-mail: us009472@pop3.interramp.com (Michael Edward Purvis)
Date: 06/23/95
Time: 09:40:26

"I really must stop loaning dinosaurs to folks.." :)