Pterodactyloids not monophyletic

Ronald Orenstein writes in reply to the subject: Pterodactyloids not
monophyletic

<<Obviously the only way to determine if your Group one and Group two
assemblages are each monophyletic (to the extent that you can do it at all)
is by further and more detailed examination of the specimens.  But your
description sounds very much like the description, not of phylogenetic
assemblages, but of adaptive suites, and therefore likely to represent
convergences.  This is akin to the view that all foot-propelled diving birds
(eg loons, grebes, hesperornithids) are related because of structures that
are clearly adaptations to that particular mode of life.

A priori I would be more impressed by common characters shared by forms that
clearly had very different adaptive suites, as these would in my view have a
better chance of representing true synapomorphies than characters whose state
might be driven by similar modes of life.>>

Right.  That's why I led with prepubis shapes.  Pterosaur phylogeny is only
in its infancy and there are bound to be a lot of false starts.  This is a
new twist on an old subject meant only as a conversation starter and to stir
up new data.  Thanks for your reply.

DPterosaur