Re: 'MAMMALS MAKE LOUSY REPTILES'

>> ON THE PRESSURE EXERTED ONTO FORELIMBS when a rearing sauropod moved back
to its
>> quadrupedal state, I feel it unlikely that much exertion of the forelimbs
would
>> have been needed. To rear into a bi/tripodal stance, a big dinosaur would
>> probably not need to 'push off the ground' with its forelimbs. Simply leaning
>> back would tilt the sacrum, the counterbalancing of the tail immediately
lifting
>> the thorax and neck. Lizards that rear in threat displays 'push up' with the
>> arms, but their tails aren't far enough off the ground to provide a levering
>> effect for the upper body.
>
>     How does it "lean back" without using its forelimbs?  It seems to me
>like to only way to shift the animals balance backward would be to push
>off with the forelimbs.  If it isn't using these, exactly what is it
>flexing or tilting or whatever to shift the center of gravity?

   If the center of gravity is near or directly over the hips, simple muscle
contraction should be sufficient to lift the beastie's front end off the ground.

** The DinoStore NOW OPEN -- Featuring Dinosaur related books and products   **
** including the Battat 1/40th scale Museum of Science collection and fine   **
** fossil replicas by Skullduggery.  Price list current as of 9/12/95.       **
** T. rex is the Dinosaur-of-the-Month.  Visit our home page at              **
** http://www.infinet.com/~jpoling/ for price lists and dinosaur essays.     **