Re: Long sauropod necks: a weapon?

>Mating battles, which aren't supposed to be lethal, might be a more
>appropriate use of neck strikes. But between beasts of equal size, would
>those strikes be powerful enough to bother with?

Seems to work with giraffes, who regularly spar in this way (a behaviour
referred to, I'm afraid, as "necking").  I wonder, though, how much
side-to-side flexibility sauropod necks had (giraffes have very little;
necking giraffes give the effect of two people duelling with 2X4's).
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5