Re: Blood flow in Sauropods

In a message dated 95-09-15 09:01:48 EDT, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
writes:

>Furthermore,"mamenchisaurs" (really euhelopodids) had upwards-curving,
>brachiosaur-like necks, not the horizontal necks some had advocated.

I think I was the first to point this out, in _Archosaurian Articulations_
#8. The first two dorsals of all the euhelopodids (yes, it's a euhelopodid
synapomorphy) I could find were distinctly upwardly inclined relative to the
rest of the dorsal column, but whenever they were mounted, they were
artificially straightened so the neck would extend horizontally.

Any discussion of sauropod neck function should take into account the various
different neck anatomies found in different sauropod groups. Long cervical
ribs vs. short cervical ribs; lots of vertebrae vs. fewer vertebrae; cranial
cervical vertebrae more flexible than caudal cervical vertebrae; bifurcated
neural spines vs. simple neural spines; tall neural spines vs. short neural
spines; etc. These all have functional as well as taxonomic significance.

G.O.