Re: Long sauropod necks: a weapon?

> A big, long, heavy horizontal neck would carry a lot of inertia, even if it
> didn't move very fast. Suppose a sauropod defense technique was to knock a
> much smaller predator off its feet with a neck strike - not with the little
> head, but with the broad slab of neck - and then trample it? Tail strikes
> have been discussed for years, but a sauropod neck has more mass and much
> more muscle than the end of that long whippy tail.
>
> Mating battles, which aren't supposed to be lethal, might be a more
> appropriate use of neck strikes. But between beasts of equal size, would
> those strikes be powerful enough to bother with?

I've seen Giraffe mating battles... well giraffe battles, I didn't
stop to ask why.  It's quite impressive to watch them swing their
heads round to catch the other animals on the flank.

Very slow sort of fight, it took a couple of seconds to swing the head
round - I would assume a small predator could see it coming from a fair
way off.  Each animal took turns to swing, a very elegant and seemingly
polite form of combat.

We over maybe half a mile away and there was a clearly audible
thwacking sound from the blows.