Re: Blood flow in Sauropods

On Tue, 12 Sep 1995 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 95-09-12 14:20:36 EDT, martz@holly.ColoState.EDU (Jeffrey
> Martz) writes:
>
> >      I don't doubt that having a long neck increases the feeding
> >range without moving the body, I just don't see the point of doing so
> >if you can cover the same range by moving the body and having a shoter
> >neck.
>
> If you have a REALLY, REALLY BIG body, using a long neck is more advantageous
> than moving the whole body, it seems to me. I have no problem with this
> notion.

      Although some Diplodocids, such as Supersaurus, Seismosaurus, and
Amphicoelias were in the really big range, smaller species were
apparently more common.  Brachiosaurus, an animal that was larger than
most diplodocids, had abandoned the primitive horizontal neck for an
upright feeding posture.

J.Martz