Re: Blood flow in Sauropods

> Which raises a question that has always puzzled me.  Why are there no
> sauropod analogues in Mammalia?  Is this just chance, or was there something
> about the Mesozoic landscape that favoured the evolution of such huge,
> long-necked creatures?

The reason which I have heard cited is that mammals are restricted to
7 vertebra in the neck and no mammal has more (although I knew a
woman once who had eight... ).

This pretty much restricts the length and flexibility of mammalian necks.

Birds, reptiles and dinoraus are not restricted in this way and
can therefore evolve much longer necks.

--- Derek

---
Derek Tearne - http://webservices.comp.vuw.ac.nz/artsLink/ManyHands/
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.