Re: Blood flow in Sauropods

> At 02:26 PM 9/12/95 -0400, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
> >If you have a REALLY, REALLY BIG body, using a long neck is more advantageous
> >than moving the whole body, it seems to me. I have no problem with this
> >notion.
>
>      OK, here's a thought . . . nothing more:
>
>           4) A *stationary* enormous herbivore that can graze a wide swath
> of nutritious greens
>                     a) eats to live;
>                     b) lives to eat; and
>                     c) leaves a lot more descendants.

There is the similar approach used by the plesiosaurs and their like,
where a predator with an enormous body gets spotted easily by smaller
prey, and has the be as manouverable as smaller prey to catch them.

Difficult to do with a large body.

A large body with a long and flexible neck gets a smaller profile in the
prey zone and a _much_ more manouverable appendage.  The body part can
cruise unnoticed below the school of fish while the head darts around
swiftly.

--- Derek

---
Derek Tearne - http://webservices.comp.vuw.ac.nz/artsLink/ManyHands/
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.