Re: Warm Blooded vs. Cold Blooded

At 11:26 PM 9/12/95, GSP1954@aol.com wrote:
>Your presumption is quite incorrect. Dinosaurs are "exotics" of unknown
>physiology, that ectothermy is primitive is an irrelevant accident. T
>
>o start from the assumption that dinosaurs were either ectotherms (the
>traditional bias) or endotherms (the Bakker bias) or something else (a common
>bias), and that alternate metabolics must be demonstrated is stacking the
>deck in each case. The way to do it is assume what is true, that we do not
>know what the physiology of dinosaur/s was, and find the best fit solution.
>
>I will soon post a message deconstructing the nonsense about respiratory
>turbinates.
>
>GSPaul

        1.  Please explain the statement "that ectothermy is primitive is
an irrelevant accident."

        2.  Also, "that alternate metabolics must be demonstrated is
stacking the deck in each case".  Actually that is scientific analysis.
Are we to assume an undeterminable, unsupported hypothesis for metabolism?
No.  We look at the alternatives, determine what hypotheses can be
supported by the evidence, and make the best decision, following the most
direct line of evidence/ support.   If we are to construct dinosaurs w/out
demonstratable (sp?) evidence, we might as well change the name of this
server to "The Dragon Net".

        3. I early await (honestly, no sarcasm) your turbinate posting.

        Sincerely,

Jason J. Head
V.P. graduate student
Dept. of Geological Sciences