Re: 250 Ma volcanic eruption

>Betty has drawn our attention to a press report about a gigantic
>eruption in Siberia at 250 Ma.  This eruption is well documented
>and formed   what is now called the Soiberain Traps - like the
>Decann Traps of 65 Ma o nly bigger.  I discuss this valcanism
>in my book.  It is  coincidental in time with the terminal
>Permian extinction, but seems to me unlikely to have caused
>that extinction.  It could be a _result_ of an impact from
>some object from outer space (asteroid or comet) bigger and
>more energetic than the K-T impactor, just as the Deccan Traps
>seem to be a _result_ of the K-T impact.

[I keep on having to say this...]

The Deccan Traps CANNOT be the result of a K-T boundary impact, since they
were already flowing happily away for ~4 million years PRIOR to the impact!!

Iridium spikes and computer models are all well and good, but sometimes you
actually have to look at the stratigraphic relationships of geologic
stuctures and events, ne?

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology