SCANSORIAL VERTS

> As someone working on theropod lifestyles, I'd like to point out at
> arboreality and cursoriality are NOT mutally exclusive habits.  I think the
> weight of evidence shows that Archie (and possibly other small theropods)
> were scansorial: animals which spend much of their time (including food
> procurment) on the ground, but occasionally going into the trees (to escape
> predators, for example).  In the modern world, the cats (great and small) make
> good examples of scansorial predators.

Furthermore, scansorial vertebrates can even employ other strategies in which
to obtain a living. I must cite, of course, the Asian Fishing cat (_Felis
viverrina_), a scansorial PISCIVORE (but it doesn't pass up a goat..). Now what
does THAT tell us about the lifestyles of small theropods... and, in particular,
that certain little feathered theropod we call _Archaeopteryx_?

DARREN NAISH