Re: Warm Blooded vs. Cold Blooded

At 12:07 AM 9/12/95, GSP1954@aol.com wrote:
>You seem to have missed some points about animal physiology. All vertebrates
>with high aerobic scopes (which very probably included all but the most
>archaic dinosaurs) must also have high resting metabolisms because of certain
>constraints of the centralized respiro-circulatory system. Only insects with
>dispersed respiratory trachea can have both high exercise and low resting
>metabolisms.
>
>GSPaul

        Actually, I didn't miss that at all, please re-read what I wrote.
There's a lot of support for the hypothesis that dino' BMRs were higher
than lepidosaurs, or other ectotherms.  The crux of what I'm saying, is
that nobody has truely dropped the dime on endothermy.  Homeothermy, quite
possibly, but not endothermy.  Reuben has a point: until true respiratory
turbinals are found in dinos', those who propose full endothermy must come
up w/ another reasonable hypothesis for dinosaurian water-regulation.

Jason J. Head
V.P. graduate student
Dept. of Geological Sciences
Southern Methodist University