Re: Warm Blooded vs. Cold Blooded

On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, GREGORY LEE SMITH wrote:

> I would like to address the issue of "Were dinosaurs warm or cold blooded?"
> I think they were warm blooded.  They weren't built like today's
> reptiles, they were built like mammals.  To me, the herbivores were like
> todays elephants, cattle, and deer.  They spent their days grazing and
> avoiding getting eaten by the carnosaurs who were like todays lions and
> wolves.  Being cold blooded would have made it very difficult for
> dinosaurs to exist because of their size.  By the time they were warmed
> up enough to move it would have been getting dark again.

Robert Bakker has several papers out that address this subject.  Not to
mention his book, The Dinosaur Heresies.

I think that the whole idea of dinosaurs as cold blooded animals is out
dated and can't stand up under any kind of scrutiny.

Bobette Dickerson
Department of Biology
University of Nevada Reno