re:re:cladistics(bats)

     On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Cunningham, Betty wrote:

     << I think the weight of evidence shows that Archie (and possibly
     <<other small theropods) were scansorial: animals which spend much of
     <<their time (including food procurment) on the ground, but
     <<occasionally going into the trees (to escape predators, for
     <<example).  In the modern world, the cats (great and small) make good
     <<examples of scansorial predators.

     >      As do most primates.  WE'RE omnivorous, however........
     >      AND the primates evolved flight.(their primitive shared
     >      ancestors with bats, at least)
     >      -Betty Cunningham

     >>Fruit bat were thought to have evolved from primates but they have
     >>proved that fruit bat are not relitives of primates
     >>-Sally Johnson

        You may have guessed that I'm particularily interested in bats.  Do
     you have a reference for the fruitbats not being related to primates?
     I don't have any of my bat refs here at work, (and I'm packed for a
     move at home) but I am aware of the 2 major groups of bats, and that
     there are no true fruitbats in N America.
       I would easily believe that the break of fruitbats from the other
     sort of bat came about the same time as South American monkeys were
     evolving separately from Old World monkeys, but with the evidence of
     early primate-like creatures from Mongolia in the Late Cretaceous,
     perhaps the break of primates from bats came much earlier.  After all,
     the earliest bat we have fossils for was just after the KT, and was
     fully-evolved in a modern (the one that isn't the class of fruitbats)
     bat form.
        Was the proof of the separation in any way by genetics or was it
     merely by anatomical differences in form?

     Betty Cunningham
     (who has had bats in the living room, as opposed to the belfry)

     (bcunning@nssi.com at work)
     (bettyc@flyinggoat.com in the studio)