Summer 1996 dig opportunity

Hell Creek Dig

A dig/exploratory trip in the Hell Creek of NW South Dakota

Plans are being made now to offer a field program on July 15-20, 1996 which
continues our excavation of a hadrosaur from our 1995 field season. In
addition we will be working on other dinosaur remains found during last
season.

Registration will be limited to 8-10 persons and will cost $330 per person.
In this program we will be conducting a 5 day dig in the Upper Cretaceous
Hell Creek Formation of north-western South Dakota.

Information about the field program is detailed below in this announcement.
For more information, contact Russ Jacobson at 217-244-2426 (weekdays) or
217-384-6983 (weekends and evenings), email (jacobson@fred.isgs.uiuc.edu)
or fill out the form at the end of this announcement and mail to Russ
Jacobson, Illinois State Geological Survey, Room 207, Natural Resources
Building, 615 East Peabody Drive, Champaign, IL 61820

       Description of field program

 Hell Creek Formation, Upper Cretaceous, Near Faith and Lemmon, South Dakota:

 The field work will include the excavation, collecting, and documenting of
dinosaur and other vertebrates from mudstones and fine sandstones of the
Hell Creek Formation in exposures on a private ranch north central , South
Dakota. The Hell Creek is of Upper Cretaceous age (65 million years old)
and is the  major formation that contains such well known dinosaurs as
Tyrannosaurs rex and Triceratops. Some of the vertebrate material already
recovered from this site include: hadrosaurs (duckbill dinosaurs),
ceratopsians (horned dinosaurs such as Triceratops), and crocodiles, and
tyrannosaurid remains (Albertosaurus).

 The primary goal of this years expedition is to continue excavation on the
remains of a hadrosaur (probably Edmontosaurus) which we began in July
1995. During the summer of 1995 our crew removed a number of vertebrae,
some ribs, a femur and humerous from the specimen, but much more remains in
the ground. A second goal will be to possibly work on the remains of a
triceratops that we discovered nearby. It appears we might have a well
preserved skull based on what was exposed when we found it in July 1996.
Whether we do so depends upon the amount of work needed on the hadrosaur.
In addition some exploration will be undertaken again this year to find new
sites for future work.

        Requirements and Costs : Individuals (children 18 or under must be
accompanied by parent or legal guardian), and families (children must be 12
or older & able to work under rugged conditions) are welcome. The fee for
this expedition is $330 per person per week . This fee covers only some of
the costs for supplies and field logistics as well as camping on the ranch.

        What is not included in the $330 fee: The cost of food, and
transportation are extra and are the responsibility of the participants.
The group will be camping on the ranch as part of the $330 fee, which
includes the use of a shower and bathroom in a hunting cabin on the ranch
site. You will have to provide your camping (tent--no trailer hookups) and
own cooking gear (ie coleman stoves) and food. You also should bring
coolers for keeping perishables and ice. Last year there was a box freezer
that we shared for storage of ice for coolers, but to be safe assume we
don't have one and plan your food and such accordingly. There is not room
to keep everyones food so coolers are a must!

       Transportation is also not provided, but individuals in the group
may work out their own car pooling arrangements. We will send out a final
list of participants that you may choose to contact for making such
arrangements but this will be entirely up to you to work out.

       Dates For Expedition: July 15 through July 20, 1996. You should plan
to arrive in the Faith, SD area on Sunday July 14th, 1996 The dig will
commence on Monday, July 15, 1996 and will continue through Saturday, July
15, 1996. We will have a short orientation class the evening of July 14 at
the Ranch campgrounds.

       Leadership:

               Russ Jacobson (Illinois State Geological Survey)

              Steve Sroka (University of Illinois-Museum of Natural History)

        Registration: In order for us to make our own plans we have set up
a number of requirements for registration in terms of dates and payment of
fees.

               First, we have a limit of 10 persons maximum for the dig.
Registration is on a first come-first serve basis. A non-refundable fee of
$100 is required to participate in the dig. It will be refunded only in
case of cancellation of the dig. Recovery of the remainder of the hadrosaur
is high priority now for the museum so I doubt that we will ever cancel. We
have not done so in the 4 years I have been leading digs. The remaining
$230 per person is due on May 1, 1996.

              Deadline for registration is May 1, 1996, but we would prefer
to have you register as soon as possible possible due to a need to finalize
arrangements with the rancher. Also if you wait that long the dig may fill
up. We were filled before that date last year!!!

               Orientation course: An informal orientation course will be
held at the ranch the evening of July 14, 1996.

Registration Form-Dinosaur Dig:

Name_______________________________ Age______ Phone___________________

Address_________________________________ City___________State___ Zip__________

Basic info:

__I wish to register now for the field course on July 15th. Enclosed is my
$100 per person deposit. I understand that the remaining fee of $230 per
person is due on May 1 1996. Please reserve me one spot on the dig per
deposit paid. I
understand that this deposit is not refundable whether I decide to cancel
my registration for the dig . It is only refundable should the dig be
canceled because of circumstances beyond our control and then all deposits
would be returned. NOTE: The deadline for Registration is May 1, 1996.

(If you are registering for a family please fill out the information below)
Write check to Russell J. Jacobson and note in check it is for Hell Creek
Dinosaur Dig for your and my records. Send check and registration form to:
Russ Jacobson, Illinois State Geological Survey, Room 207 Natural Resources
Building, 615 East Peabody Drive, Champaign, Illinois).

Name Age Relationship to registrant

______________________________________

______________________________________

______________________________________

Wavier of liability and Terms of Field Paleontology Expedition In Hell Creek
Fm:

(required as part of registration for dinosaur expedition to be held near
Faith, SD, July 1996)

I the undersigned accept the following:

1) I understand that the trip does not provide any type of medical or
liability insurance to cover any possible injuries and accidents while I
(and any family members) are participating in this field expedition. I
agree to be responsible for carrying my own medical and liability insurance
for myself and any family members who attend this expedition with me. I
agree to provide my own liability, medical (and auto insurance if driving
own vehicle) insurance. I will provide proof of self insurance to
leadership at the spring orientation meetings if required by the
leadership. I understand that I should carry my own first aid supplies so
that I am prepared should some type of emergency situation arise.

2) I understand the trip does not provide any insurance for my vehicle. In
the event of vehicle trouble or accident I agree that I assume all
responsibility and will not hold the leadership (Russ Jacobson and Steve
Sroka) or their employers (Illinois State Geological Survey or Museum of
Natural History-University of Illinois), or relatives liable for any
injuries that I (or my family members) may incur as a result of travel to
the site of this field expedition or for any thing that may happen to my
vehicle.

3) I understand that conditions in the field may at time be hazardous and
that some of the
following situations may exist or be encountered while working at the dig site:

a) Weather may be extremely hot (in the upper 90's or higher in 1996!!!)
and there is no shade available on the barren badlands site where we will
be digging so be prepared for hot sun.

b) Weather may be unpredictable at times (windy or stormy)

c) Some work may be on steep slopes where there is a risk of slipping or
falling.

d) The excavation work may at times be strenuous and difficult (especially
while excavating rock material from the specimens in very hot weather)

e) Rattlesnakes and other types of sometimes hostile wildlife may be
encountered (especially while on trips to locate other sites).

f) The sites are located along stream cuts, road cuts, badlands areas, and
thus hazards may exist by working at such sites.

4) I understand that the $100 per person depost for this trip is
non-refundable except in case of cancellation of the dig.

5) I understand that the $330 (per person) fee covers camping fees (tent is
not included!!!), lecture and leadership costs, pre-expedition
arrangements, and the purchase (by leadership) and use (while on the
expedition) of rock excavation equipment (such as picks, and shovels), and
some fine bone excavation equipment and bone preparation supplies
(consolidants, glues, plaster of paris, plaster bandages, newspaper,
aluminum foil, etc). No other equipment will be provided for use while on
the dig (see # 8 below).I understand that this fee does not provide,
transportation, or food. I am responsible to pay for my own food for myself
(and family) and find transportation to the dig site.

6) I understand that no additional equipment is being provided by the
expedition. I will be responsible for bringing my own gear such as: first
aid kits, coolers for food and keeping ice for food, food that keeps well
in hot environments, canteens, proper clothing for hiking and excavation
work (in the hot summer sun--and for stormy days). I understand that
canteens and other containers for water/drinks are a necessity in such a
hot and arid climate and that I am responsible for bringing my own supplies
to deal with this need.

7) I understand that this trip does not provide transportation for the $330
fee, transportation will be my own responsibility. It is my responsibility
to travel to the ranch and campsite.

8) I understand that no collecting of fossil material from the site will be
allowed without express permission of the leadership.

9) I (and my family members)do have medical and liability insurance:check
here ___

10) I the undersigned realize that these conditions outlined above may
exist (as well as others not anticipated), but by signing below I accept
full responsibility for any injuries or hazards encountered (for myself and
any family members attending). I agree that I (or any relatives or family
members) will not hold the leadership of this expedition (i.e. Russ
Jacobson, Steve Sroka), their employers (Illinois Geological Survey,
University of Illinois, or relatives and families of the leadership
responsible or liable for any injuries that I (or my family members) may
incur as a result of participation in this field expedition.

11) I understand the following tools are required to be brought by me and
will not be provided by the leadership of the dig:

Rock Hammer, flat trowel, hand awl (like ice pick), couple good 2 and 3
inch paint brush (natural bristle), one whisk broom, set of hand steel
chisels, a field notebook.

13) I understand that the $100 per person deposit is non-refundable since
this money will be used by the dig leadership to make financial
arrangements once the decision to go ahead is final! If I choose to still
cancel then I loose my $100 deposit

14) As the parent or guardian of any 12 to 18 year-olds on this trip I
realize that I will be required at all times to supervise my child. The
leadership will treat your child as any other member and provide training
but you will be required to provide any basic supervision after such
training is received, the leadership is not providing any special
shepherding of your children once they have received their training.

15) I realize that this dig is a serious scientific enterprise, it is not a
vacation and that sometimes tedious and strenuous work may be necessary.
All members of the team will be expected to carry their share of the work
(including children) at the site in order to ensure the success of the
expedition. We want this to be fun but want to emphasize that it is also
serious work.

16) I agree that I understand all the terms outlined above. By signing
below I hereby agree and accept these terms for both myself and any family
members who will be attending with me.

Signed ____________________________ Date_________________________

Highly Recommended Items for dig: Some items you may want to have for the
dig include
the following noninclusive list:

a) Hats (for sun) & sunglasses A MUST!!!!!!

b) Sunblock (rating should be high enough for prolonged exposure) A MUST!!

c) insect repellant

d) canteens (1 gallon size best, fluids are essential in hot weather!!!)

e) first aid kit

f) hiking boots (no tennis shoes please!!!)

g) Bedding and tent(for camping)

h) Raingear - Thunderstorms develop mainly during afternoons or evenings
 and hail is also a possibility.

i) Hiking stick (for exploration of nearby area as time permits for
additional dinosaur sites or in evening).

k) Materials passed out at meeting on Sunday(book, articles, etc)

l) gloves

m) long sleeve shirt (for sun and cool days)

n) Coat/sweatshirt (in case of cold days or very cool nights)

p) camera or video camera (optional for your own documentation
of dig experience).

q) flashlight. r) Cooler for keeping perishables and ice. Note: last year
there was a working freezer in cabin that you can store ice in for
cooler--no guarantees it will be there however. Plan as if it is not.

s) 5 gallon water coolers/containers

t) cooking gear.

u) enough clothing for one week plus (town is 35 miles away with laundrymat)

  Russ Jacobson                     INTERNET:jacobson@geoserv.isgs.uiuc.edu
  222 NRB, 615 E Peabody            217-244-2426   Home Phone: 217-384-6983
  Illinois Geological Survey         DINO RUSS: who lives, eats,
  Champaign, IL 61820                breathes and smells dinosaurs!!!
  Operator www server-DINO RUSS's LAIR: http://jacobson.isgs.uiuc.edu/ or
                                        http://128.174.173.205/
                                                  ____
       ___                                      .-~. /_"-._
      `-._~-.                                  / /_ "~o\  :Y
          \  \                                / : \~x.  ` ')
           ]  Y                              /  |  Y< ~-.__j
          /   !                        _.--~T : l  l<  /.-~
         /   /                 ____.--~ .   ` l /~\ \<|Y
        /   /             .-~~"        /| .    ',-~\ \L|    .-~-.
       /   /             /     .^   \ Y~Y \.^>/l_   "--'  .*(   )*
      /   Y           .-"(  .  l__  j_j l_/ /~_.-~    .   {  ) (  }
     Y    l          /    \  )    ~~~." / `/"~ / \.__/l_   @(   )@
     |     \     _.-"      ~-{__     l  :  l._Z~-.___.--~-  *~.~*
                           `. ~(
                             )  \