Re: No Subject

In a message dated 95-09-11 13:46:06 EDT, bcunning@nssi.com (Cunningham,
Betty) writes:

>I "think" that the ICZN >may< be trying to root out problems they are
>     having, not with Latin or Greek, but with Latin-izing or Greek-ing
>     such words as Mongolian place names, Chinese emporors, or Australian
>     Aboriginal place-names, and having the professionals in the field
>     seemingly needing to know enough Mongolian, Manchurian, or
>     Aborginanal(?) to know whether these would be male or female names and
>     thus how to treat them when Greek-ing and Latin-izing are applied to
>     them.
>
>     Maybe?
>

>     -Betty Cunningham
>     Is  "Minmi"  a male or female gender?

Actually, the ICZN is tired of people like me who go around correcting the
genders of adjectival species epithets to match their generic names. It is
also tired of having to respell species epithets when they are attached to
generic names whose gender differs from their original generic names, as in
_Thecodontosaurus diagnosticus_ to _Efraasia diagnostica_.

Molnar 1980 did not specify a gender for _Minmi_, nor can it be inferred from
the species epithet _paravertebra_, which is a noun in apposition to the
generic name. The first revisor (or someone else who is interested) has the
privilege of specifying the gender if needed. Based on an Aborigine place
name, _Minmi_ may be neuter as well as masculine or feminine. Ralph Molnar
will be describing a new species of _Minmi_ soon, so perhaps he will select a
gender for the genus then.

G.O.