Re: Blood flow in Sauropods

     One of the explanations I have heard for diplodocids having long
necks is no be able to cover a wider area of mid level to ground level
vegetation.  I don't really see the point of this.  With a shorter neck,
the animal could STILL REACH the same vegetation.  The idea makes me
think of a guy mowing his lawn using a mower with a fantastically long
bar so he can do the whole thing standing from one spot. What's the
point?  He could do the same area by walking it with a normal mower.
It seems to me like such a feeding strategy wouldn't have saved the animal
energy, moving that big heavy neck around would be as energy pricey as walking.

It also wouldn't have allowed it to eat faster, as it could move on to
new vegetation as fast by walking as by moving its neck.

J. Martz