Re: Speedy tyrannosaurs

anatomy@acl.nyit.edu writes:

>>A - hadrosaurs were not THAT much slower than tyrannosaurs
>The anatomy of the beasts suggests a
>modest top speed. Anatomy, biomechanics, gravity, the inertia of a top-heavy
>biped all would seem to suggest that tyrannosaurs were incapable of either a
>short-burst or a sustained bout of swift movement.

This is still a matter of some controversy.
Actually, I believe biomechanical as well as other considerations point
more towards a T-Rex capable of high speeds, at least in short bursts.
Considerations such as femur/tibia ratio, strength of leg bones,
probable fast metabolism and consequent food requirements, and
status as top predator of the time, all point to a T-Rex capable
of at least bursts of swift movement.  As far as I know, Horner
is one of the few Paleontologists who favors the T-Rex as slow-moving
scavenger theory.

Achut Reddy
achut@sun.com