Re: 250 Ma volcanic eruption

At 3:24 PM 9/9/95, Tompaleo@aol.com wrote:
>Ah!But the Deccan Plateau was roughly situated at the antipode of Cicxulub
>~65Ma! Concentration of shock waves generated by the impact was significant
>enough (according  the Sandia people) to have disrupted the crust causing
>flood  volcanism to occur. There is also a "hot spot" associated with the
>Indian subcontinent and evidence of several tens of millions of years of
>eruptions (dating to well before the latest Creatceous and therefore before
>Chicxulub) suggest that no impact caused the deccan floods directly or
>indirectly.

        I was under the impression that the "hot spot" that created the
Deccan Traps is the same one currently forming the Seychelles southwest of
India -- the Traps formed when the Indian subcontinent passed over the spot
before colliding with Asia in the Miocene.

Jerry D. Harris
Shuler Museum of Paleontology
Southern Methodist University
Box 750395
Dallas  TX  75275-0395
(214) 768-2750
FAX:  (214) 768-2701
jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu
        (Compuserve:  73132,3372)

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and
quacks like a duck, then it is the sister taxon to,
but cannot parsimoniously be, the direct ancestor
to all other ducks."

                                --  _not_ W. Hennig