Re: Blood flow in Sauropods

>What blinking good does a long horizontal neck do? (And given
>the *extreme* length of some diplodocid necks, it must have had
>*some* purpose).  However, by standing on their hind legs that
>horizontal neck becomes a vertical one.  Now it accomplishes
>something.

A 8 metre long neck, 3 metres above the ground allows you to cut a 16 metre
wide swathe through the vegetation at a height of 3 metres of less without
overloading the blood circulation to the head associated with raising the
neck above the horizontal (of course these figures allow for maximum
lateral movement of the neck, but you get my drift). That is a blinking
good use for a long horizontal neck.

Cheers, Paul

pwillis@ozemail.com.au