Re: Blood flow in Sauropods

In a message dated 95-09-09 03:05:39 EDT, Stang1996@aol.com writes:

>    Why would Diplodocoideans have evolved their "more" horizontal neck from
>the verticle-esque neck of all other sauropods if it didn't have some
>tremendous advantage over the verticle-esque necks; i.e. why would they
>expend all that energy in evolving a worse feeding apperatus?  Besides the
>obvious physical adaptations showing that it was "possible," there are also
>the questions of why b.s. around with building your body to do this, if you
>couldn't do this?

The "horizontal" neck of diplodocids was primitive for Sauropoda--a similar
shortcoming existed in cetiosaurid necks, according to a little study done in
Britain sometime in the 1980s. So the "vertical" neck in brachiosaurids (for
example) would be a derived condition. The various kinds of  neck
architectures of the more derived sauropods can be understood as different
kinds of improvements upon the original, not particularly mobile, not
particularly flexible, not particularly elongate neck architecture.

I explained some of this in my article on brontosaurs for Gakken in 1992...

G.O.