Re: 250 Ma volcanic eruption

David Brez Carlisle said:

> Betty has drawn our attention to a press report about a gigantic
> eruption in Siberia at 250 Ma.  This eruption is well documented
> and formed   what is now called the Soiberain Traps - like the
> Decann Traps of 65 Ma o nly bigger.  I discuss this valcanism
> in my book.  It is  coincidental in time with the terminal
> Permian extinction, but seems to me unlikely to have caused
> that extinction.  It could be a _result_ of an impact from
> some object from outer space (asteroid or comet) bigger and
> more energetic than the K-T impactor, just as the Deccan Traps
> seem to be a _result_ of the K-T impact.

Sounds unlikely to me. Aren't flood basalt volcanisms the result of huge
upwellings from the mantle - i.e. hotspots on stereoids? How can an
impact trigger one? Besides, Chixculub (sp?) isn't anywhere near India,
wasn't even 65 Ma I think.

> David

Tero Sand, 2 kyu (4k*)          ! "We have become... the stewards of life's
                                ! continuity on Earth. We did not ask for this
EMail: cust_ts@cc.helsinki.fi   ! role, but we cannot abjure it. We may not be
       custts@cc.helsinki.fi    ! suited for it, but here we are." -S.J. Gould