250 Ma volcanic eruption

Betty has drawn our attention to a press report about a gigantic
eruption in Siberia at 250 Ma.  This eruption is well documented
and formed   what is now called the Soiberain Traps - like the
Decann Traps of 65 Ma o nly bigger.  I discuss this valcanism
in my book.  It is  coincidental in time with the terminal
Permian extinction, but seems to me unlikely to have caused
that extinction.  It could be a _result_ of an impact from
some object from outer space (asteroid or comet) bigger and
more energetic than the K-T impactor, just as the Deccan Traps
seem to be a _result_ of the K-T impact.
David

--
bk090@Freenet Carleton.CA