Oxygen levels long ago

OK, I know this is a little out of the Mesozoic, and I did start something off
topic with the Field Museum post, however.....

The September 95 issue of Discover magazine has an article on the fluctuations
in the oxygen levels during the Carboniferous (p. 32).  I don't recall any
literature being cited, but the 35% number was used as a reason for the huge
insects of that period.  The theory goes that as the concentration of oxygen
increases so does the size of the animal that can be supported by diffusional
oxygen transfer (also known as the squared/cubed law).

My two cents..

Steve Showalter

skshow@rt66.com