Re: dinosaur footprints AND Re: The Lost World: Errata

Re: dinosaur footprints

I was never aware that they found the footprints of an ornithomimid dinosaur.
 I got the 40 MPH estimate from animals of similar (?) leg structure,
ostriches.  And besides, I have heard that Ornithomimus ran 40 MPH in all
kinds of dinosaur refs, and since I think its a sensable estimate, I trust it
(I DON'T, however, trust the cheetah-speed dromaeosaurs, as I said earlier).

By the way, besides mushy ground, what other kind of ground can footprints be
left in?

Re: The Lost World: Errata

Velociraptor antirrhopus could not be the 'raptors' in The Lost World.  Since
most agree The Lost World (book version) is based on the original novel,
those raptors would have to be V. mongoliensis, the raptors Wu cloned in
Jurassic Park the novel.  (Anyway, less and less people, like the theory was
ever trusted, are concluding that Deinonychus is in fact a Velociraptor.  Our
friend GSP, though, still doesn't believe it!)  In the inner cover flap with
the map of The Lost World (the island), Velociraptor looks just like the
Mongolian species, with the depressed snout and everything, and written as
being 6 feet long.  Crichton just didn't do his research this time around,
and those picky remarks by G.O. clearly show that.  Crichton just goofed --
to our disappointment...  Too bad he didn't look upon the research of Bakker
or GSP, like he did in the original.

Velociraptor mongoliensis was about 2 meters long, and had the mass of a
medium-sized dog.  Maybe it was less than a meter tall.  Tiny dinosaur, yes,
but if Crichton depicted the Mongolian raptors correctly, in packs these
animals would be just as scary as his fabricated raptors.

T. rex, the color of dried blood?  Going a little too far.  I still imagine
rexy as a orange-brown color, with a black netted pattern going across its
back.  Like that painting by GSP, a back view of a running mating pair of T.
rexes -- a think they looked like that, but with a little more brownish base
color.

I heard that the baby rexes were feathered!  If not, I will be disappointed.
 I still don't see why Crichton's raptors aren't feathered -- with small
theropods, feathers are becoming the thing nowadays!  (He made a big mistake
making naked raptors in the first place -- he never even mentioned, in his
documentary/thriller-like writing style, that feathers on theropods had been
suggested by leading authorities.)  Baby rexes were smaller than their
parents, and were active, thus lost heat quickly -- an insulative covering of
feathers would have been an advantage on their part.

Raptor RKC (Rachel Clark)