Re: Another Large Allosaurid

>>Medium? As far as i know Allosaurus could become 39 ft / 12 m long.
>>So an medium sized would be 6 m long and not two.
>>

>I have heard of an Allosaurid, Acrocanthasaurus atokensis that may have
>approached T. rex size. It too had a skull over 5 feet long and teeth ~8
>inches long and believed to have been in the 40+ foot long range.
>Interestingly, A. atokensis may be a_little_older_  than Gigantosaurus or at
>least seems to have been it's North American counterpart of Aptian-Albian
>age.

Giganotosaurus is, I belive, Cenomanian, so it is indeed a little younger
than Acrocanthosaurus.

Other giant non-tyrannosaurid theropods include the ?allosaurid
Chilantaisaurus, the allosaurid Saurophaganax, the megalosauroid Torvosaurus
(=Edmarka), Carcharadontosaurus, Bahariasaurus, Spinosaurus, and Deinocheirus.
 Oops, forgot Therizinosaurus, too.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology