Re[2]: Sue and the president

>If I had a million dollars, it would do much better going directly to the
>owner of Sue to get her out of hock, than to have it the Goverment.  If I
>had a million dollars, I would much rather give it to a group that could
>actually do something about MORE specimens, whether preparing stuff we
>already have in a box somewheres (stegasaur, hmm?) or use it to go out and
>find more.   Sue, though nice, isn't worth that much all by her lonesome in
>comparison with all the other nice stuff a million dollars could buy.
>
>-Betty

        Probably the best thing that could happen regarding that particular
tyrannosaur would be if NOBODY tried to buy it, and Mr. Williams had to
deal w/ having several tons of half prepared dinosaur sitting in his
garage.   If someone pays upteen million bucks for the critter, do you
think Mr. Williams will go out and prospect for more dinos' to sell?  Will
anyone else interested in a quick buck start looking for dinos'?  The last
thing anyone interested in learning more about dinosaurs needs is for there
to a be healthy market for dinosaur fossils.  Let Mr. Williams wear "Sue"
around his neck like the albatross that it is.

Jason J. Head
V.P. graduate student
Dept. of Geological Sciences
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, Tx. 75275

        "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"- H.S. Thompson