Re: Re: giganotosaurus...article from boston globe

>BTW, I think the largest meat-eating dino shouldn't have a name that is
>too hard to pronounce/remember, especially for 6-year olds who need to
>know this bit of trivia.  I would have named it Giganotosaurus rex, which
>could then be shortened to G-rex :-)

What's hard about it?  Okay, the news readers don't read their text properly,
but the name is actually very simple:

Giga-noto-saurus.  Giant southern reptile.  For anyone who knows a smidge of
mammal evolution, the "noto" is a VERY common word element in South American
taxonomic names.

Also, "imperator" would have been better...

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland