Re: Query: Evolution of Pterosaurs

In a message dated 95-09-25 12:22:32 EDT, ornstn@inforamp.net (Ronald
Orenstein) writes:

>>1) Why would little thecodonts becomes arboreal in the first place?  To
fill
>>in an unoccupied niche?  Escape from ground-dwelling predators?
>
>Either would do, IF it happened.  A safe nesting site is another possible
>reason.

Escape from predators seems to be the primary cause (for me, at any rate).
Because when you take away the predators (say in an island environment),
volant birds often evolve into larger, ground-dwelling, cursorial forms.
Then, once the animals start making use of the trees, lots of other
opportunities open up.