Re: Sexual dimorphism in T. rex

>But why larger females?  Males in many species are larger because they
>rival over the females.  But if the larger rexes ARE females, this may
>tell us something about the mating habits of T. rex.
>
>Raptor RKC (Rachel Clark)

Not necessarily.  In many hawks, for example, the female is larger than the
male - sometimes considerably larger.  This is sometimes explained as a way
for males and females to exploit slightly different niches, with the female
larger as she has the larger biomass requirements to contribute to breeding
(egg formation, etc).  I don't think this has anything to do with mating
habits.  As for T. rex, of course, who knows?
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5