Re: Sauropod Informed (original Blood flow ?)

At 5:02 AM 9/25/95, Paul Willis wrote:

>>> T-rex teeth, biting ability, and scent receptors.
>>> Would I be assuming too much in guesing T-rex had poor oral hygine? Would I
>>> be farther off the beam to assume that a deep bite on a Hadrosaur thigh
>>>would
>>> go septic? Would not such a wounded dinosaur take on a 'special' scent?
>>> Wouldn't this wounded dino, especially if on migration, fall behind the herd
>>> and become much easier to dispatch?
>>
>>     Some gentleman whose name I can't recall suggested something similar
>>using Komodo Dragons as a model.  Komodos have serrated teeth that trap
>>little putrifying peices of meat in the serrations.  When it bites
>>something, the prey animal in question gets a terrible infection, almost
>>as if the komodo were actually poisionous.  This guy's argument
>>was that the little, teeny cube shaped serrations of tyrannosaurs might have
>>served a similar function.  It doesn't seem like such a bad suggestion
>>when you conider that these serrations are fairly small and CUBICAL, not
>>pointed.

        The article in question is :

        The Serrated Teeth of Tyrannosaurid Dinosaurs, and Biting
Structures in Other Animals.

        Abler, William L., 1992.  Paleobiology, 18(2) pp. 161-183.

        Its a nice piece of biomechanical analysis, though I'm a little
dubious about the conclusion that tyrannosaurs may have had the same
feeding behaviors as oras (Kommodo monitors).  Oras live in a very
geographically isolated area.  The "infectious bite" may very well be an
adaptive strategy for such isolation:  even if the bitten prey escapes, the
infected wound will bring it down later, resulting in a tasty carrion meal.
It is the isolation that allows for an increased probability of coming
across a carcass that died from an infectious bite (50 K.m. bite 50 deer=
50 yummy carcasses- even if you don't eat the same deer that you bit,
you'll probably eat the deer that someone else bit).  Other monitors have
nasty bites (oral hygene doesn't appear to be a concern to varanids), but
the ora's would appear to be the most virulent.  Since tyrannosaurs didn't
appear to have the same geographic isolation, the proposed behavioral
similarities don't seem to make much sense.  Then again, I could be wrong.

        Hope the reference helps,

Jason J. Head
V.P. graduate student
Dept. of Geological Sciences
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, Tx. 75275

        "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"- H.S. Thompson