Speed of dinos

Eve the best models of the speed of animals can go astray, so
I feel we must be a little skeptical about the derived speed
of dinos.  I recall about 40 years ago someone producing a
model of swimming of tuna, derived from the measured force
tht could be produced by the muscles and the drag when a dead
tuna was towed in a ship-testing tank.  The author came up
with a top speed of 15 knots.  Anything more would dddemand
more power than the fish could manage.  The o nly trouble is
that when I measured the top speed of swimming of tuna in the
sea the  speed exceeded 45 knots, which would demand either
power production 10 times higher than the known power of
ANY muscles, or else lower drag.  In fact the drag of a live
tuna is much less than that of a dead one, partly because of
special adaptaions to reduce drag that depend on control of
body parts.  The top speed is attainable for about 10 seco nds,
while the cr uising speed is much lower.

This might serve as a warning: if our models can get  the speed
of living animals so wrong, how good can out models of dino
speed turn out?

Sorry about the typos.

David

--