Re: Pectoral Girdles

DSmith0531@aol.com
<<1)  As this is often referred to as "the first bird," did it possess the
standard bird-like pectoral girdle (fused clavicles+interclavicle=furculum,
large coracoids articulating with the sternum (did it even have a sternum?),
blade-like scapula oriented parallel to the spinal column), or did that come
later?>>

A newly described species of _Archaeopteryx_ (_bavaricus_ I think?) has been
described by Peter Wellnhofer as possessing an osified sternum.  He suggests
that the other six belonging to the species _lithographica_ (and maybe some
to the doubtful species _recurva_) were all sub-adults and had cartilidginous
strenums.  I think he's probably right on that point.

<<3)  If Archaeopteryx DID have the bird-like girdle, what other dinosaurs do
we find this in?>>

In Dromaeosaurs and to some extent in Oviraptors.

<<In a quasi-related topic, what was the pectoral girdle of pterosaurs like,
and how was the flight-stroke accomplished in these animals?>>

It's a little hard to explain.  A good book to look at is Peter Wellnhofer's
"Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Pterosaurs."

Peter Buchholz
Stang1996@aol.com