Re: The Lost World: Errata

In a message dated 95-09-24 23:24:54 EDT, jpoling@infinet.com (Jeff Poling)
writes:

>   From what I've read both on this list and s.b.p., Michael Crichton, and
>several honest-to-god paleontologists, place Deinonychus in the genus
>Velociraptor.  That would make Crichton's description of the size of
>Velociraptors, if not correct, at least in the ballpark.

_Deinonychus_ was a bit larger than _Velociraptor_, but not anywhere near 2
meters tall. Don't take my word for it; check out the figures of the skull
and skeleton in Ostrom's chapter of _The Dinosauria_. Even if the skull is
not quite correct, its size and the size of the skeleton are accurate.
Crichton's _Velociraptor_ would be about 160% too big, if he were using
_Deinonychus_ for his model. His _Velociraptores_ seem to be about the size
of _Utahraptor_.