Re: SUE.. what to do?

At 2:48 PM 9/23/95, Robert G. Tuck Jr. wrote:

>I've been noticing the same phenomenon.

        Occasionally, funky things happen on everyone's servers.  I've
noticed that there are two main places where hang-ups seem to occur:

1>  Between your own terminal (and its requisite home server, if they're
two different things) and the listserver's home computer (in our case,
lepomis.psych.upenn.edu),

2>  Between the listserver and all the subscribers.

        Often, on SMU's paticular server, I've noticed that if I write a
message at 10 AM, it doesn't get posted until sometime around 4 PM in the
same time zone.  Similarly, I've noticed that, like George and Tuck, I will
see responses to messages before the message itself comes through!  Mickey,
please enlighten us as to the nature of the server processes that make
these delays possible!

Jerry D. Harris
Shuler Museum of Paleontology
Southern Methodist University
Box 750395
Dallas  TX  75275-0395
(214) 768-2750
FAX:  (214) 768-2701
jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu
        (Compuserve:  73132,3372)

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and
quacks like a duck, then it is the sister taxon to,
but cannot parsimoniously be, the direct ancestor
to all other ducks."

                                --  _not_ W. Hennig