Rooks and Ravens - and T.rex teeth

I was flamed about my rmark that rooks, like T. rex, were
scavengers.  I meant it as a jokoe of sorts.  Rooks are primarily
carnivores (like T.rex), feeding chiefly on beetle grubs in th e
soil.  BUt like almost all carnivores they are occasional scavengers.
The co mmonest sighting of a rook feeding is of road-kill, where one
or more rooks are  feeding on the carion.

My own view about T.rex feeding (for what it's worth) is that it
was (like rooks) primarily a carnivore, hunting its prey by some
means or other, but feeding on dead meat  whenever was l ying around.
REmember, though, that very few animals die of old age, so there is
rarely  any such food unless it has been killed by something else.

Mammals only have two sets of  teeth, the milk teeth, shed in the
first few years of life in the humna species, and the permanent
dentition.  All other vertebraes that possess teeth have an
ongoing tooth replacement program, shedding teeth and replaing
them throughout l ife.  Witness the abundance of fossil shark
teeth.  The same musts have been true of T. rex.  I suspect
that i solated teeth found in bone beds are often just teeth
that have been shed naturally in this steady program of tooth
replacement.  Has anyone done a study of the roots of such
isolated teeth?  That should tell  us whether thi s idea h as
any merit.

Ravens and rooks are differen t species of _Corvus_ and it is the
raven _Corvus corax_ that         is in semicaptivity in the
Tower of London, not rooks.

David

--
bk090@Freenet Carleton.CA