Re: Good Intentions For Sue

  Here's the null hypothesis regarding the future of "Sue":

         Folks,  FORGET ABOUT THAT SPECIMEN.

        It  is now in private hands and, since no museum could reasonably
afford the expected price tag, will most likely stay that way.  I seriously
doubt that a government which is currently trying to throw old people out
of hospitals (my political blather for the day) to save a dollar out of the
average yearly income tax, will fork over seven digits for a fossil, even
if Newty likes T. rex.   In addition, purchasing fossils from private
individuals only encourages private collection and sale of fossils,
potentially to the detriment of science and public knowledge.  Chances are,
we'll never see "Sue" again.  There are other T. rexes out there waiting to
be found, hopefully by someone who isn't motivated by the "green-back
dollar" (a quote from one of my father's old records from the sixties).
Yes, "Sue" was a beauty, but she aint got nuthin' on AMNH 5027, or the
Wankle rex.  Know why?  'Cause we've ALL got access to them.

My Two Bits,

Jason J. Head
V.P. graduate student
Dept. of Geological Sciences
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, Tx. 75275

        "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"- H.S. Thompson