Re: giganotosaurus...article from boston globe

At 6:44 PM 9/22/95, Achut Reddy wrote:
>Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:
>
>>This "bigger than _T. rex_" business isn't as clear-cut as I previously
>>thought, either.
>
>The San Jose Mercury News had an article on Giganotosaurus yesterday.
>Besides all the same info as posted here, they got Jack Horner to
>compare it to T.rex.  He was quoted as saying that he didn't care
>which one was bigger -- the important question is (guess what?) whether
>or not Giganotosaurus was a scavenger :-)

        If this critter is the same one that was presented as a poster
session at last year's SVP conference (I've haven't seen any photos of the
new Giganotosaurus), then here's a couple of interesting things to relate:

        1. According to a pretty respected P.h.D., this critter is actually
SMALLER  than the tyrannosaur formly known as "Sue", now represented by the
symbol "$".  I can't confirm or deny, as I don't have any measurements, but
maybe someone out there does.....

        2. The hypothesis of the poster's presenters was that the big
critter was a HERBIVORE, since it was sooo damn big, and had a much longer
femur than tibia (IE slow as molassas).

        So, is this the same critter?

Jason J. Head
V.P. graduate student
Dept. of Geological Sciences
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, Tx. 75275

        "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"- H.S. Thompson