Re: Amphibians (Re: Bakker lecture)

     I tend to agree with your sentiment, but the problems amphibians are
     >facing are many and varied - global warming might be a factor (in
     >some cases) but it is certainly not that simple. Land, air & water
     >pollution have been implicated, as has increased UV radiation.
     >Habitat destruction and general disturbance
     >are widespread problems..

     Lesse.....
     -house cats in suburbs
     -roads over migratory routes to water
     -fences around bodies of water
     -dumping
     -toxic run-off from pesticides
     -tree cover removed to allow shallow pools to dry
     -swamp draining
     -damming of streams
     -small children
     -paving dirt areas for parking instead of letting mud puddles form
     -increase in urban carnivores that just happen to place frog very high
     on the list of potential food items (coyotes, raccoons, opposum,
     crows, jays, etc)

     and that's just here in the Bay Area.  I haven't seen a wild frog
     since I was 17.  I used to catch them and feed them to my pet snakes,
     but not recently.

     Could small children have led to the extinction of dinosaurs?
     Does Bakker really think that frogs could survive what dinosaurs could
     not? (delicate, indeed)