Re: SUE.. what to do?

>From: San Diego Natural History Museum Library <libsdnhm@CLASS.ORG>
 > It is the Sioux landowner who is calling the shots. Because he had ceded
 > his land back in trust to be managed for his benefit, Interior has to
 > manage the T. rex for the landowner's benefit.

Well, there is the issue as to whether he had sold the right to the
skeleton.

 > ... Don't direct your suggestions at the White House. You don't have
 > to convince anyone in the government of the immense scientific value of
 > this, nor do you have to convince the Cheyenne River Sioux tribal
 > council.

As I understand it, his suggestion was that the government *buy*
the specimen from the owner on the grounds that it is a national
treasure.

As part of the compensation offered to him to induce him to choose
the Federal government as the purchaser, it was suggested that the
offer be sweetened by adding *continuing* income to it from continued
sales of plaster casts.

Suggesting *this* to the President is *entirely* appropriate.

It is a way to make the rancher happy - he got *his* money -
and to secure the specimen for scientific study at the same time.

I doubt any musueum, by itself, has enough money to outbid certain
private collectors.  The US government *does* have that kind of
money. [Besides, *they* can keep part of the procedes of the
plaster cast sales as well, to offset the price]

The peace of God be with you.