Re: giganotosaurus...article from boston globe

In a message dated 95-09-22 06:22:45 EDT, densmore@crossc.crosscomm.com (Mike
Densmore) writes:

>The first bones on the new king of the prehistoric beasts, which lived
>90 million years ago, were found in 1993 by an amateur fossil hunter,
>Reuben Carolini.  Its skull, backbone, pelvis and leg bones were
>subsequently excavated by two Argentine paleontologists, who described
>the find in the report, published today in the journal Nature.
>
>The report says the predator is the "largest therapod ever recorded from
>the Southern Hemisphere and is probably the world's biggest predatory
>dinosaur."  It was written by Rodolfo Coria of the Carmen Funes museum
>in Nequen, Argentina, and Leonardo Saigado or Argentina's National
>University of Comahue.

I think they misspelled some persons' names. How about Ruben Carolini and
Leonardo Salgado? Also "theropod," not "therapod."

This "bigger than _T. rex_" business isn't as clear-cut as I previously
thought, either. The femur is a few inches longer than that of "Sue," but the
whole leg is about the same size; the skull is a few inches longer, but the
body is about the same length as "Sue's." The quoted body weight is well
within published estimates of _T. rex_ body size. When I first heard about
this beast, the skull was said to be TWICE the length of that of _T. rex_. It
shrank a bit since then.

Now, if you want to get a really big theropod--if it IS a theropod and not a
misidentified sauropod or something else--try _Bruhathkayosaurus matleyi_,
with a tibia(?) 2 meters long and a femur(?) 75 cm across the distal
condyles. These are published data. And Dong Zhiming is rumored to be working
on a nearly complete theropod vertebral column 22 meters long (the working
name is _Kelmayisaurus gigantus_).

G.O.